Sunday 29 September 2013

SEPANZ Conference 2013 - Post 2

Hi Folks,
 
Here is my 2nd post on the SEPANZ conference.
I would like to tell you about the first workshop I went to : iPAds, Apps and the Special Learner - presented by Ian Bean.
Ian is a fantastic presenter - giving the info in an entertaining way.  To find out more about Ian follow this link:

http://clickspecialednz.com/sepanz/conferences/keynote-speakers/


Notes, etc from his presentation can be found at:

http://www.ianbean.co.uk/NZ/

I'm not going to repeat what I learnt at the presentation as you can just click on the link above for that but here are a few points that particularly resonated with me - they are in no particular order:

It was interesting to hear his views on sustainability.  iPads are changing so rapidly, with new models quickly coming out.  Schools can not have a 5 year plan for updating equipment - needs to be at least a 2.5 year plan.

Apple have built switch access into iOS7 - aiming for the disability market.

Issues with technicians in schools - many are microsoft trained and not familiar with Apple. 

Ian talked about the protecting iPads with sturdy covers - something I need to look into for school.

Ian also highlighted a few apps:

Photospeak:



A review of this app can be found at the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oShRH-IvzFg

I have actually got this app. already.  My class love it.  I got it initially to use with a child in my class who's main motivation seems to be photographs of people he knows.  A big hit!


Ian also mentioned two other apps - Tellagami and Bitsboard - but you'll have to wait until my next post to hear about these. 

See ya soon !!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment