Saturday 5 October 2013

SEPANZ Conference 2013 - Post 5

Happy Day Everyone,

Here we are again.  I hope you have all been enjoying the lovely Spring weather here in New Zealand.  If you're not in New Zealand - why not??

I shall now wax lyrical on the second conference workshop I went to.
This was titled "Making Informed Choices, Making the Right Choices When Using Inclusive Technologies". The presenter was Greg O'Connor.
More info on Greg can be found here:

Click here to find out more on Greg O'Connor

Also loads of technology info from Greg's Organisation - Specronics -  can be found by clicking on this link here:

http://www.spectronics.com.au/ 



First Greg talked about the S.E.T.T. framework - a tool to help find and use appropriate technologies with students.  I found this extremely informative and interesting.

SETT is an acronym for Student, Environment, Task and Tools.  It is really a collection of questions to guide your thinking when choosing appropriate technology for the students.

Here are a couple of links I have sourced with info on the S.E.T.T. Framework:

Click here for S.E.T.T. info from Spectronics Blog

Click here for info from Ministry of Education website  - from this link you can download the Ministry of Education guidelines.

I found this interesting and it would be good for me to trial the guidelines with a partner who also knows the student whom we are wishing to consider using a particular technology with.  Perhaps it's something which could be done in a class team meeting?  Or with a therapist who knows the student as well as the teacher?

Anyhow - as it is so beautiful outside I shall be off now to enjoy it.  I will be back soon with more info from Workshop 2.

Oooo by the way - Wicked was wicked - I loved it!!!!

















1 comment:

  1. Yes this workshop was great. I enjoyed the info Greg shared about ebooks. He told us about Book Creator for ipad (free or paid) which is a simple ebook creator. I tried it out at work making an ebook for a student as a learning story. Was a whole lot faster than making one out of print material and way more interactive. The voice recording is cool too. I can see myself and my staff using this one a lot.

    ReplyDelete